History

Dunham Hill Railway Station

Dunham Hill Railway Station

The Old Pump

Dunham Hill home Guard

Wood Farm on the A56

Dunham Hall 1917

Dunham Hill

Dunham Hill Football Club 1914

Old Cottage Dunham Hill

The Old Smithy

The old Village shop 1970's

 

War Dead

Rifleman James Cecil Williams

S/10489, 9th Bn., Rifle Brigade who died on 15 September 1916 Nephew of  Amelia and Charles Edwards Dunham Arms 

Private John  W Blackburn

40391, 20th Bn., Manchester Regiment who died on 04 May 1917 Age 24.  Son of John Richard and Emily Blackburn, at Corn Hill Farm, Dunham Hill.

Private Leonard Schofield

40364, 20th Bn., Manchester Regiment who died on 15 May 1917 Age 20. Only son of Frederick William Winfield Schofield and Mary Ellen Schofield, of Ivy Cottage, Dunham Hill,

Private Arthur Griffiths

19368, No. 3 Coy. 1st Bn., Coldstream Guards who died on 21 September 1917. Son of Mary Eileen Griffiths, of Hapsford, Helsby, Warrington.

Private   Samuel Antrobus 

58260, 16th Bn., Cheshire Regiment who died on 22 October 1917 Age 19. Son of John Antrobus, of Oldfield Cottages, Dunham Hill,  

Private John Edgerley Kay

46325, 16th Bn., Lancashire Fusiliers who died on 10 August 1918 Age 23. Son of Thomas and Edith Kay, of Cherry Tree Farm, Dunham Hill

Private Joseph Antrobus

302728, 1st/8th Bn., Manchester Regiment who died on 29 September 1918. Son of Esther Antrobus, of Church View, Dunham Hill,

Private Fredrick Fairhurst

 10831, 4th Bn., The King's (Liverpool Regiment) who died on 26 November 1918

Private John K. Worrall

14755163, 2nd Bn. The Glasgow Highlanders, Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment) who died on 15 April 1945 Age 24 Son of Earnest and Bertha Worrall, of Hapsford, Cheshire; husband of Nancy

Flight Lieutenant Pilot George Henry Calveley

134561, 19 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve who died on 30 August 1944  son of  Harry and Ann Marie Calveley Hob Lane Dunham Hill

 

The Domesday Book 

In 1086 the Domesday book records Dunham on the Hill or Doneham as it was known in 1066

 The Harrying of the North

William 1  in 1069 he marched up again with an army. This time he engaged in a protracted campaign euphemistically known now as the Harrying of the North. In practice, this involved sending troops out to kill people, burn buildings and crops, smash tools, seize wealth and devastate large areas. Refugees fled north and south, from the killing and the resultant famine. More castles were built. The idea behind the slaughter was to show conclusively that William was in charge, The Domesday book  created in the mid-1080s, may still show traces of the damage in the large areas of ‘waste’ in the region.

Doneham

Total population: 11 households

Total tax assessed: 3 geld units

Taxable units: Taxable value 3 geld units.

Value: Value to lord in 1066 £2   . Value to lord in 1086 £0.8.

Households: 7 villagers. 3 smallholders. 1 smiths.

Ploughland: 9 ploughlands (land for). 0.5 lord's plough teams. 1.5 men's plough teams.

Other resources: Meadow 2 acres. Woodland 0.5 * 0.25 leagues.

Lord in 1066: Aescwulf <of Landican>.

 

 Troutbeck, of Dunham The family seems to have originated from Westmoreland, their ancient coat of arms being three interlaced trouts. Later a wreath of trouts encircled their crest.Our story begins in 1412 when Prince Henry commissioned William Troutbeck, Chamberlain of Chester. By purchase, William became Lord of Dunham-on-the-Hill, near Helsby. Stoney Dunham, as it was called, had been held up to this time by the Earls of Arundel. In 1415 the Earl died at Agincourt and William Troutbeck came to own a third of Dunham. He too fought at Agincourt. By 1444, the whole manor of Dunham was vested in the Troutbecks. William was succeeded by his son Sir John Troutbeck, Chamberlain of Chester and Sheriff of Cheshire in 1447.

He married the great heiress, Margery, the daughter of Thomas Hulse, of Brunstath (Brimstage), the original settlement of the Domvilles. a younger line of the Barons of Montalt, and one of the most aristocratic families in the country.  John Troutbeck also passed, through Margery Hulse, the Sergeantry of the Bridge Gate at Chester, hereditary office of the Rabys.

 

Sir John Troubeck lived at Brimstage Hall and it was from here that he rode out, aged forty-seven, to his last battle, “beneath the banners of Henry V, Lancastrians   he fell with the flower of Cheshire on the fatal field of Blore”. John’s son, Sir William claimed innumerable hereditary rights throughout the county, amongst them sole Forester of part of Mara and Mondrem and unlimited fishing rights in the Dee for the extent of his manors of Little Neston and Hargrave. His son, another Sir William, died childless. His heiress was his niece, Margaret Troutbeck, who became the wife of John Talbot, from whom the Earls of Shrewsbury descended.

What’s in a name

 Dunham’s first name was Doneham  then it was written as Dunham  from 1265 to 1310

From 1327 the name of Stony Dunham was given ,then changed to Dunham de Hill. In

1348 it was known as Staney Dunham, then until 1534 it became Stanre Donham,

Stanrydoneham,  Stanre Dunham and Stanre Dinham.' Then we had a nice change of style

with Dunham Super Montem. In 1559 Dunham on the Mount, but not until 1860 with a

 

gap of over 400 years did we get Dunham 0' The' Hill. And today Dunham on the Hill. So in a thousand years the name has changed 12 times 

 

The parish church of St Luke was built in the 1860s as a chapel of ease. Before this villagers had to walk across the fields to Thornton-le-Moors in order to attend church services. Services are held here at 9.30 every Sunday morning.

 

The village also has two Methodist chapels, both now converted into dwellings. The Wesleyan Methodist church in the centre of Dunham was the first place of worship to be built in the village. Hapsford Methodist Church is on the A56 between Dunham and its neighbouring village, Hapsford.

 

Dunham Hill railway station was a railway station in Dunham-on-the-Hill, Cheshire. It was opened in 1850 and closed in 1952. Near to the station was a branch line leading to the former ROF Dunham on the Hill explosives storage depot ,Dunham on the Hill was the location of an explosives storage depot built during World War II